Sunday, October 12, 2008

Blog 'O Scare

Now that I've started a blog, officially, I'm wondering if I can keep up with it. I'm also wondering how different it's going to be from writing with back-in-the-day ink and paper. Already, I've noticed how too-easy it is to simply press the Backspace button and erase the thoughts I just recorded {sounds like an epsiode of X-Files or Fringe or something FX-Channely}. Just like that, I can press a button and...poof...it's gone.

When writing the old-school way, it's more permanent. It's more of a commitment. If you screw up or don't like something you wrote, you have to make the choice of either A) leaving it there and dealing with the possibility of being discovered one day when someone finds your journal long after you've left this place and cares enough to read it, or B) scribbling over the words, thus making a wicked mess of the page and causing said person-who-finds-your-journal-and-cares-enough-to-read-it to focus their eye directly on the scribbled-out section and perpetually wonder what was originally there. They will spend their whole lives dreaming up possibilities of what you had originally thought. They will ask their friends to listen to their ideas all the time. When their friends get sick of them, they will stop strangers in the street and ask them for answers to the question that will drive them insane, keep them up at night and cause them to take strong medication: What did she originally write there? But even after that answer has been found a hundred times over, one question still remains: Why did she cross it out?

1 comment:

callenstewart said...

Welcome to the blogoshpere. I find it strangely cathartic at times. And I know what you mean... I try really hard to not change things when I go back and read them again.